If you’re looking for a tasty way to bring some seafood into your dinner options, this scallop recipe is a great way to go.
- 2 pounds of large sea scallops
- 2 large lemons
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 scallion stems, finely chopped
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons dry sherry
- ½ cup of orange juice
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- You will first want to prepare your ingredients. You'll need two pounds of large sea scallops, cleaned. You will also need two large lemons (one quartered), salt, pepper, and two tablespoons of butter. You will need to finely chop scallions, keeping the white and green parts separated, as the green will be used for a garnish. Be sure to have a dash of cayenne pepper and four tablespoons of dry sherry. You will need approximately ½ cup of orange juice and 2 tablespoons of honey, adjusted to your taste.
- After collecting your ingredients, it is time to complete the food prep. First, you will want to run cold water over the scallops and inspect them to see if they are properly cleaned. Next, you will want to rinse your scallions and separate the white part from the green part. Finely chop the white separately from the green. Be sure to keep them separate, as you will use each color of the scallion in different parts of the recipe.
- On your sous vide set the desired temperature to 122ºF. While waiting for the water to heat up, place one pound into each of the two plastic bags which zip close, along with two slices of lemon, salt, and pepper in each bag. Be sure to seal the bag using the water immersion method to create a vacuum and place in the heated water. Cook for 30 minutes.
- While the scallops are cooking, start to prepare the sauce. Heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Take a pinch of cayenne pepper and add the finely chopped white scallions. Cook until they are soft, then remove the scallions from the skillet. Set it aside and zest one lemon in a separate bowl to use later. Next, squeeze the juice from the lemon and add orange juice to the lemon juice to make a ⅔ cup of juice.
- After cooking for 30 minutes, remove the scallops and pat them dry. Heat the skillet on high and gently place the scallops in the skillet. Allow the scallops to sear for 90 seconds on one side only. Remove the scallops from the skillet and then deglaze the skillet with sherry. Add the juice mixture and some of the lemon zest to the skillet. Stir in the sautéed white scallions in the skillet and bring the mixture to a boil and cook. Reduce this in the skillet until it is thick and glaze-like. Take a taste of the glaze and if it is too tart be sure to add honey, one teaspoon at a time.
- Finally, plate the scallops, seared side up and sauce with the glaze. Use the finely chopped green scallions as a garnish with additional zest. Serve immediately and enjoy.
photo credit: Wikipedia