If you and your family eat a paleo diet (also called the Paleolithic diet ) then this creamy chicken casserole is for you. This allows you to enjoy the ultimate in comfort food, while not straying from your dietary requirements.
- 2 c cooked shredded chicken
- 1.5 c butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- ½ c coconut cream (skimmed off of the top of a can of coconut milk)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1.25 c green peas (if using frozen, thaw prior to adding to recipe)
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp onion powder
- If you have not pre-prepared your chicken, place chicken in an additional pot of boiling water for 40 minutes. Remove from heat, strain and shred chicken using forks or a stand mixer.
- Meanwhile, soften cubed and peeled butternut squash in a large pot of boiling water for approximately 40 minutes. Remove butternut squash from pot using a strainer and place in a large bowl. Using a potato masher, mash butternut squash to a smooth, but somewhat chunky texture.
- Add apple cider vinegar, sea salt, garlic powder, black pepper, oregano, thyme and onion powder to the mashed butternut squash and stir to combine.
- Add coconut creme and oil, stirring to combine.
- Stir in coconut oil, coconut creme, shredded chicken and green peas.
- Place mixture in a large skillet and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes on medium heat.
If you truly follow a paleo diet, then you won’t complement this hearty dish with bread or rolls, however a side salad made up of greens and chopped fresh vegetables would go very nicely with it, as would a steam vegetable like green beans or asparagus.