Joule Sous Vide – ChefSteps CS20001
The Joule Sous Vide Precision Cooker is a well made sleek compact unit that puts out a lot of power.
It has WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity, but lacks onboard controls and is pricey compared to other similar models.
- Compact and sleek design
- 1100 Watts Power
- Magnetic clamp
- No On Board Controls
- High Price Point
Product Review and Features | Videos | Product Comparison | Product Specifications | Return to Top
Joule Sous Vide – Product Review and Features
The Joule Sous Vide Precision Cooker from ChefSteps (Model # CS20001) was one of the more interesting and unique models that we reviewed. It was unique in size, shape and design, but did make some trade-offs as faras unability. Read on to learn more.
This model was 11″ tall with an immersion tube that was just under 2″. Compared to the other models that were in the 15″ range this model was amazingly small. This model was also extremely light coming in 1.3 pounds, compared to most models averaging 2 pounds, making it the lightest of all of the models we saw. If you have a tiny apartment or kitchen and storage space is a concern, this model should jump to the top of your short list.
This model is mostly made of very strong white polycarbonate material. At the top and bottom, there are two stainless steel rings. It’s very important that we mention the biggest difference between the Joule and other immersion cookers, this model has no controls on the unit, everything is controlled via WiFi. When we say no controls we mean no controls at all. There is a blue light at the top of the model to let you know it has power, but that it. This lack of controls makes the unit very solid and strong. Another note the entire unit is water resistant if you accidentally knock it over or drop it into the water just fish it out and there’s nothing to worry about.
This model comes with a tension clip that allows you to mount it on the side of nearly any vessel. It opens fairly wide and should accommodate most choices. You may have an issue if you are using it on a thick insulated cooler. What’s really interesting is on the bottom of the unit is an orange soft rubber pad, and inside that pad is a neodymium magnet. This is a high powered magnet that will grab hold of the metal base of any magnetic pot. Not all pots are magnetic, any anodized aluminium pots, for example, are not magnetic. I have a Thermador induction cooktop and use a lot of Le Creuset cookware which is magnetic. The soft rubber pad keeps the magnet from scratching the bottom of the pot, it’s a really well thought out nice touch.
Despite its small size the Joule precision cooker puts out an impressive 1100 watts of heating power, putting it near the top of all the models we reviewed. It has a low water height of 1.25″ and high water mark of 8″ giving it the widest range of all the models we reviewed. There are no external markings indicating where the min/max levels are we wish they had put some sort of indicator on the outside of the tube. The unit has a pump rate of 2.1 GPM which was on the high side of the models we looked at and it was average as far as noise level.
The controls on the Joule Sous Vide is the part that left us most confused. There are absolutely no outside controls or readouts at all, none. Everything is controlled via Bluetooth or Wifi from the app. While we didn’t have any problems or real complaints with the app and controlling the unit it just seemed a little weird. To be honest this was our biggest complaint about this model.
This model has a very high price ($180) compared to some of the other models. The model is very strong and feels high quality, we loved the magnetic base, and the power and flow rate were all top notch. Being at the top of the price spectrum and not getting any controls just seems weird. If you need a small unit for storage reasons and aren’t put off by the lack of controls this is a good choice. In our opinion, the lack of controls and high price is a deal breaker.
- Compact Sleek Design
- High Power Motor
- Magnetic footpad
- Fully Immersable
- Bluetooth and WiFi Connectivity
Name Product Comparison
Sous Vide Comparison Chart
Anova Bluetooth Sous Vide
Joule Sous Vide
|Controls on Unit||YES||NO|
|Max Water Capacity||5 Gal.||10 Gal.|
|Water Flow||1.2 GPM||2.1 GPM|
|Min. Water Depth||2.75″||1.5″|
|Max. Water Depth||6.25″||8″|
|Temp. Stability||0.1 °F||0.2 °F|
|Noise Level||59 DB||54 DB|
|Size||14.8 x 2.8 x 2.8 inches||11 x 1.9 x 1.9 inches|
|Weight||2.5 pounds||1.3 pounds|
|Warranty.||1 Year||1 Year|
|Check Prices||Check Prices|
Reviewed Item: Joule Sous Vide
For more information you can check out our our Helpful Guides below:
- Sous Vide Reviews - read complete reviews of all the Sous Vide cookers we looked at.
- Sous Vide Buying Guide - Want to buy a sous vide machine, this guide will help you learn everything you need to know before making a purchase.
- Sous Vide FAQ - Here are our most frequently asked sous vide questions.
- Top 10 Sous Vide Cookers - Here's a list of our top 10 sous vide machines.
- Best Sous Vide machine - Here's our highest rated sous vide precision cooker.
- Sous Vide Recipes - Here's a collection of some of our favorite sous vide recipes.
- Sous Vide Time and Temperature Chart - Here's a chart to help you find the proper time and temperature to set your sous vide.
- How to Cook Sous Vide - Here's our guide to understanding sous vide cooking.
- Beginners Guide to Sous Vide - If you're a beginner to sous vide cooking this guide is for you.
- Sous Vide Equipment - Here's a list of commonly used sous vide equipment.
- Sous Vide Safety Issues - Got questions about sous vide food safety, this guide will answer them for you.
- Anova Sous Vide Review - A review of the Anova Bluetooth sous vide precision cooker.
- Anova WiFi Sous Vide Review - A review of the Anova WiFi Sous Vide precision cooker.
- Gourmia Sous Vide Reviews - Reviews for all of the Gourmia POD Sous Vide Immersion cookers.
- Joule Sous Vide Review - A look at the ChefSteps Joule sous vide immersion cooker.
- Sous Vide Instruction Manuals - Looking for a sous vide user manual or instruction we may be able to help you out.
- Bluetooth Kitchen Appliances - Looking for a Bluetooth enabled kitchen appliance here's a list.
- WiFi Kitchen Appliances - Looking for a kitchen appliance that can communicate via WiFi here's a helpful list.
- Sous Vide Instructions Manuals - Looking for sous vide instrutions manuals we have copies of many of the most popular models.
- Buying Guides - Buying guides for different kinds of small appliances
- How To Guides - How To guides to help you choose the right counter top appliances for your needs.
- Product FAQs - Common questions and answers for different types of small appliances in your kitchen.
- Cooking Information - Information and helpful tips to save time and money in the kitchen.
- Kitchen Small Appliance Brand Information - If you're looking for contact information, support, forums, instruction manuals or other information for small kitchen appliances we may be able to help.
- Small Appliance Instructions Manuals - If you're looking for instructions manuals for any of your small appliances we may be able to help.