This apple cinnamon strudel bread is perfect for chilly winter mornings and is an excellent option for enjoying with coffee.
Apple Cinnamon Strudel Bread
Author: Sarah Herbert
- 3 cups flour, divided
- ⅓ cup milk, warm
- ¼ cup water, warm
- ¼ cup sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2¼ teaspoon active dry yeast
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups apples, peeled, cored, sliced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- sea salt
- For the dough: whisk together water, 2 tablespoons sugar and yeast in a small bowl or glass, and set aside for 5-10 minutes. If mixture does not froth and bubble up, discard and start again.
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, milk and vanilla, and mix together.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together 2 cups flour, remaining sugar and salt. Then add butter and milk mixture, yeast mixture and eggs. Mix well until dough begins to form.
- Add in another ½ cup flour and mix until sticky dough ball begins to form.
- Transfer to a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm, draft-free place for 60-90 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough, either in bowl or on countertop, and add remaining flour. Mix in and set aside 5 minutes. (Or refrigerate overnight, if making dough ahead of time.)
- Line a 9.5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper and, in a medium bowl, combine apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg for filling. Toss well so apples are coated.
- Mix together melted butter and vanilla in a separate bowl or glass.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 12x20-inch rectangle.
- Brush thoroughly with vanilla butter and evenly spread apple slices out on the dough. Then sprinkled with remaining cinnamon filling mixture.
- Using a very sharp knife or pizza/pastry cutter, cut dough into 6, 3 1/212-inch pieces.
- Stack the 6 pieces on top of one another and cut stack evenly into another 6 pieces.
- Take the sliced sections, turn them on their sides and place them in the loaf pan, one in front of the other.
- [If apple slices or filling falls out, just tuck it back in or sprinkle it over the top of the loaf once you've assembled the rest of it.]
- Cover loaf pan with a clean kitchen towel and let dough rise another 30-60 minutes, or until doubled in size (again). Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Place the strudel bread in center of oven and bake for 40-50 minutes (covering with foil after 30 minutes), or until deep, golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes, then lift parchment paper out of loaf pan and let cool completely.
- Sprinkle sea salt over the top of the apple cinnamon strudel bread before serving.